Monday, January 21, 2008

Social Network Update I - Introduction.

As part of my current course in Internet politics, I've been given the task of evaluating the use of social network sites by campaigns through firsthand experience. Over the next few weeks, I plan to track my involvement in a political campaign using social networks as the main means of communication and organization. Below are my choices for social networks.

Facebook

My first love in online social networks, Facebook really has all that people in my age range can ask for in terms of establishing an online presence. Though the addition of innumerable (and often shoddy) user-made applications has cluttered Facebook's once-sleek appearance, this social network still hasn't lost the reputation that it gained in the heady days of .edu-only admission standards.

Care2

I just finished signing up for Care2, and my first impressions are fairly positive. The profile options are comprehensive and accessible at the same time. I particularly enjoyed the "see choices" option for categories like issues and interests. The tag clouds that pop up are solid ways to gauge the popularity of issues on Care2, and also serve to jog the memory when it comes to thinking of personal preferences. I know that I always go blank when presented with so many blank boxes; Care2 presents a nice cure for that particular syndrome.

Since I don't have a very large network of friends who are currently members of Care2, I'll be casting my net wide in terms of the groups I join. For the purpose of this project, however, I will be primarily focusing my efforts on observing the level of activity and discourse surrounding Barack Obama's campaign for the Democratic Presidential nomination. While I am confident that Obama's campaign will continue throughout the spring semester, I will also pay close attention to the Clinton campaign and, in the event of Obama's defeat, will shift my focus accordingly.

Now that introductions are out of the way, all that's left to do is join some groups, make some friends, and get active. Let's see what happens.

No comments: