Thursday, November 22, 2007

Linksgiving - A Bounty Indeed.

Happy Turkey Night, everyone. After an entire day devoted to food, football, and lounging like a hedonist, I'm actually looking forward to doing some work for a change. I might have a couple of entries cooked up for the weekend (or even later tonight, depending on how much energy this Colt-Falcons game takes out of me), but until then, it's time to give thanks. Here are a few things that make my world better these days:

- The Capitol Limited. For my money, the best way to travel the DC-to-Chicago route.

- The Vice President, for cracking a joke that's actually sort of funny, coming from a cyborg deathbot.

- CNN, for giving me more things to laugh at.

- The Internet, and all of the interesting freedoms it promotes and defends. Something tells me that I'm not alone on this one. You hearin' us, candidates?

- Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parades, from today and yesterday.

- James Wright. For this, and others:

Autumn Begins In Martins Ferry, Ohio

In the Shreve High football stadium,
I think of Polacks nursing long beers in Tiltonsville,
And gray faces of Negroes in the blast furnace at Benwood,
And the ruptured night watchman of Wheeling Steel,
Dreaming of heroes.

All the proud fathers are ashamed to go home.
Their women cluck like starved pullets,
Dying for love.

Therefore,
Their sons grow suicidally beautiful
At the beginning of October,
And gallop terribly against each other's bodies.


Substantive reporting returns when my turkey coma wears off. Until then, have a wonderful night, and leave some things you're thankful for in the comments, if you're so inclined. If not, I'll see you on Black Friday.

No comments: